Preparing for Other Disasters
- Stay close to the floor, and move quickly to the nearest exit. Smoke makes it hard to see, and most fire deaths are caused by smoke inhalation.
- Leave behind personal items. Seconds can make the difference between life and death
- For more information please visit the Home Fire Safety Resource page
- Get under sturdy furniture or next to an inside wall.
- Expect aftershocks, and get outside and away from buildings as soon as you can.
- Trained rescuers may not arrive for hours so try to rescue others if you can.
- Go to a storm shelter right away.
- Stay out of flooded buildings.
- Avoid wading in or driving through water. Floodwater can contain sewage and conceal dangers, including debris, open manholes, and downed power lines.
- For information about flood insurance, visit the National Flood Insurance Program website