The Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program is committed to providing a recreational program that emphasizes sportsmanship, fair play, and a family-oriented atmosphere. Coaches are considered to be the Leaders in the Orange Beach Youth Leagues, providing positive adult role models and being mentors for the impressionable youth who are participating as players and spectators. The opportunity to coach in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program should be considered a privilege and along with that privilege are requirements to perform at a higher standard. The ability to coach in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program is dependent upon the coach's acceptance of the following policies. These policies are provided so that all coaches will clearly understand the expected standard of behavior and the consequences that will result if violations occur.
1. Because of the current size and continued growth of the program, as well as the number of coaches each year, all volunteers wishing to be considered to coach a team in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program must submit the requisite information for a background check to be performed.
2. Official coaches participating in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program are expected to make a commitment to this program as their first coaching priority. Simultaneous participation in other organized athletic programs is allowed provided that those program schedules do not conflict with Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program practices or games.
3. No foul or abusive language is permitted, including cursing or racial slurs. The penalty for inappropriate language is ejection from the game and/or removal from coaching for the remainder of the season.
4. No fighting is allowed. The penalty for fighting in a sporting venue during or after a game or practice is expulsion from the Athletic Program for the remainder of the season. Violent behavior will not be tolerated. Examples include willful and deliberate throwing of equipment and threatening gestures or words. The penalty for violent behavior is ejection from the game.
5. No tobacco use (smoke or smokeless) or alcohol consumption is allowed by official coaches at any Athletic Program practice, game, or event held at the sporting venues during the season. This includes times when the coach is present at the sporting venue when his team is not practicing or playing a game. The penalty for violating this policy will be ejection from the game or suspension from the next scheduled game. In addition to the minimum penalties applied as a result of a violation of the above policies, the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program reserves the right to apply other penalties as deemed appropriate to assure compliance with these policies. Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program Sportsmanship Code Develop a strong, clean, healthy body, mind and soul Develop a strong urge for sportsman-like conduct Develop an understanding of respect for the rules Develop courage in defeat, tolerance, and modesty in victory Develop control over emotions and speech Develop a spirit of cooperation and team play.