Shoreline News - Life Enriching Activities for the Adult 50 & Over
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!
Sometimes maintaining healthy habits during the holidays can be a real challenge with over indulgence being so easy. Incorporating these tips into your festivities will hopefully help you to enjoy a healthier holiday season!
- #1 - Find healthy alternatives to your favorite dishes
- #2 - Balance heavier indulgent meals with smaller nutrient dense ones
- #3 - Choose fresh and homemade foods instead of processed
- #4 - Include more vegetables, either in your meals or as snacks
- #5 - Slow down while you eat to prevent overeating
- #6 - Eat small snacks during the day, and have three medium meals instead of three extra-large ones.
- #7 - Take a walk after dinner.
- #8 - Find ways to exercise, even if away from home. Maybe even include activities to get your family active.
- #9 - Try to stay close to your normal sleep schedule
- #10 - Take time for yourself to destress and relax
Navigating the holidays can be tough on everyone, but by making a couple of little changes to think more healthy, you can really make a difference to your physical and mental well being during this busy time of year!
Have a wonderful holiday season and Merry Christmas!!
DECEMBER 2021 EVENTS
- December 10th at 10 a.m.: Trip to Fish River Christmas Tree Farm in Summerdale. We will stop by OWA for lunch. Lunch will be on your own. Pre-registration required. Cost: $5
- December 17th at 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: Gaming Lunch: Join us for a Friday Mexican Train game and a pizza lunch. Pre-registration required. Cost: $3
- December 23rd-26th: MERRY CHRISTMAS! The Senior Center is closed.
- December 31st: HAPPY NEW YEAR! The Senior Center is closed.
BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKS - Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-10 a.m. provided by Orange Beach Fire Rescue.
REMINDER: Medicare Part D Open Enrollment is October 15, 2021 - December 7, 2021. Individuals can make an appointment with the Council on Aging at 251-972-8506.
DECEMBER 2021 ARTS & CRAFTS PROJECTS
Please call 251-981-3440 to sign up for Adult/Senior Activity Center activities. Pre-registering is required to ensure space and material
- CERAMICS: Tuesdays - 9 a.m.-11 a.m. Cost varies.
- GLASS ETCHING: Wednesdays - 9 a.m.-11 a.m. Cost is $10.
- CANDLE HOLDER: Thursdays - 9 a.m.-11 a.m. Cost per class is $5.
- CRAFT WORKSHOP: Mondays - 9 a.m.-2 p.m. - The Craft Workshop is extra open time to work on any of this month’s craft projects.
ONGOING WEEKLY ACTIVITIES
Schedule may change due to low attendance or instructor availability.
- SIT & BE FIT EXERCISE CLASS w/Ann: Monday and Wednesday, 2 p.m.-3 p.m. Cost: $3 fee per class.
- HAND & FOOT CANASTA: Monday and Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-Noon
- LEARN AMERICAN MAH JONG: Monday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
- BRIDGE: Tuesday and Thursday, Noon-3:30 p.m.
- FLEX & STRETCH w/Justine: Tuesday, 10 a.m.-11 a.m.
- YOGA for EVERY BODY w/Sallie: Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. Cost: $3 fee per class.
- TAI CHI CLASS w/Rio: Wednesday: 9 a.m.-10 a.m. Cost: $3 fee per class.
Links to the December 2021 newsletter and calendar: