Orange Beach Fire Rescue is now accepting applications for the Resident Volunteer Firefighter Program (RVFP). The RVFP is designed to give young men and women an opportunity to pursue a career in Fire and Emergency Services.
Applicants that are accepted into the RVFP are expected to successfully complete Firefighter I/II training. After successfully completing the training and receiving their Firefighter I/II certification, they will be assigned to a regular shift in the Orange Beach Fire Department, where they will serve alongside our career members working 24 hour shifts performing all the duties of a firefighter, gaining valuable experience, and training to prepare them for a career with a full-time fire department.
Additionally, applicants will be sent to school to become an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Advanced EMT (if already an EMT), to complete the training requirements for the RVFP. Participants can stay in the program for up to two years; a minimum one year commitment is asked. In exchange for this commitment to the RVFP, participants are provided with the following:
- Lodging, with all utilities paid for
- Certification as a Firefighter I/II (based on successfully completing the course and passing the certification exam)
- Opportunity for additional fire service certifications (for example, Apparatus Operator; Hazardous Materials Technician; Rope Rescue Technician; etc.)
- A monthly stipend
- An opportunity to become a certified Ocean/Surf Lifeguard (United States Lifesaving Association)
Requirements for applying (based on the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission prerequisites for Firefighter I training):
- 18 years of age
- High school diploma/GED
- Successful completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) - more info on this can be found on the Alabama Fire College website.
Download and complete the Resident Firefighter Application, then submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit applications in person at the Orange Beach Fire Department Administrative Building located at 25855 John Snook Drive Orange Beach, AL 36561 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
*Please do NOT submit RVFP applications to Human Resources; all applications should be submitted directly to the Fire Department.
Please contact Assistant Chief Kevin Lanford with any questions related to the Residency Program.
Chief Kevin Lanford
Office: (251) 981-1690