Artist Ibiyinka “Ibi” Alao, Nigeria’s “Ambassador of Art,” will be returning to Orange Beach from October 21st to November 11th making multiple appearances and participating in workshops as a part of his “My Fireflies, An Island Experience” residency.
A welcome reception for Alao will be held at the Coastal Arts Center of Orange Beach from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 23rd. The public is invited. Reception hors d'oeuvres will be provided by Fin & Fork Restaurant.
In 2015-16 Alao spent six weeks in Orange Beach as a base to his many dinners, receptions, speaking engagements and art workshops. He even made an appearance on the City of Orange Beach float in the Gulf Shores Christmas Parade. Find more information on Alao on his website at https://ibiyinka.com/.
In addition to public appearance, Alao will visit Orange Beach Elementary School and Orange Beach Middle and High School, thanks to funding from Orange Beach Education Foundation - OBEF. He will also make presentations and conduct workshops at the city’s Expect Excellence after-school program.
Alao’s public appearances include the following:
- October 23 - Coastal Art Center of Orange Beach, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Welcome Reception. The public is invited. The Coastal Arts Center is at 26389 Canal Road.
- October 30 - Gulf Shores United Methodist Church, 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. in the auditorium. The public is invited. The church is at 1900 Gulf Shores Parkway.
- November 3 - Orange Beach United Methodist Church, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. presentation and reception to follow. The public is invited. The church is at 28751 Canal Road.
- November 6 - “Connecting Art & Audience” - Storytelling as a Marketing Tool
1 p.m. – 3 p.m. – Presentation & Workshop at Orange Beach Adult Activity Center
26251 Canal Road
3 p.m. – 4 p.m. - Tour of Coastal Art Center of Orange Beach – Networking with Ibiyinka
Registration Required at: https://asbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/8355
- November 6 - St. Andrews by the Sea Gulf Shores, 5:45 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. The public is invited. The church is at 17263 Fort Morgan Road.
- November 9 - Gulf Shores Cultural Center, 6 p.m to 8 p.m. – “My Fire Flies, An Island Experience” Finale. The public is invited. The center is at 19470 Oak Road West.