Hurricane Sally FEMA assistance can help if insurance doesn’t cover losses

October 21, 2020
FEMA logo

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Homeowners and renters who suffered damage from Hurricane Sally in Baldwin, Mobile and Escambia counties should apply to FEMA for federal disaster assistance even if they have insurance. 

While FEMA cannot duplicate insurance or other benefits, it may be able to help with uninsured or underinsured losses, or if your insurance settlement is delayed. Applicants should notify FEMA of their situation and provide insurance company documentation. 

You may be eligible for a grant if you received a settlement from your insurance company and still have unmet disaster-related needs.  

FEMA may still be able to assist with disaster-related temporary housing if you have exhausted the settlement from your insurance for additional living expenses. 

You may be eligible for grants to cover emergency home repairs, disaster-related medical, dental and other disaster-related expenses if an insurance settlement is insufficient to cover those costs. 

If your insurance settlement has been delayed longer than 30 days from the time you filed a claim, you should contact FEMA. After providing the necessary documentation – the claim number, date applied, and an estimate of how long it will take to receive a settlement – you may qualify for an advance that would have to be repaid to FEMA once the insurance settlement is received. 

The quickest way to apply for federal assistance is online at or by calling 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585). Multilingual operators are available. The toll-free numbers are open daily 6 a.m. to midnight, Central Time, 7 days a week.

Homeowners, renters and businesses of all sizes may obtain information about U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loans by calling 800-659-2955 (TTY 800-877-8339) or online at For the latest information on Hurricane Sally, visit