Hurricane Delta continues to rapidly strengthen in the Caribbean and is now a MAJOR Category 3 Hurricane. It is expected to move into the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday after crossing the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.
The City of Orange Beach continues to monitor updates from the National Hurricane Center and our local National Weather Service bureau in Mobile. The current path has Hurricane Delta making landfall in Louisiana early Saturday. Delta is forecast to turn north and northeast prior to landfall, but exactly when the turn occurs will determine the extent of local impacts.
Even if Delta makes landfall well to our west, the local area will still see a threat of storm surge, dangerous surf/rip currents, heavy rain, low area flooding, isolated tornadoes, and strong winds.
In light of this threat, the City of Orange Beach is highly encouraging all vacationers to begin leaving today, as soon as possible.
For residents, now is the time to prepare.
- For those who live in low-lying areas, begin to make plans to leave, if necessary.
- If you have a boat or vessel, secure it and or remove it to higher ground.
- Replenish your hurricane supplies now.
- Residents and local property owners are encouraged to secure all outside items around their properties, such as patio furniture, umbrellas, awnings, and trash/recycling receptacles.
- The city debris contractor is continuing to pick up storm debris from Hurricane Sally as quickly as possible, especially in low-lying areas.
- Sand and sand bags are available behind City Hall at 4099 Orange Beach Blvd and at the gate at the Public Works yard on William Silvers Parkway, going toward the Orange Beach Sportsplex.
- Remember the first 72 hours are on you. After an emergency or disaster strikes, support and resources may not be available right away. Every home needs an emergency kit with a three-day (72 hours) supply of food, water, flashlight and other basic needs.
Residents and visitors are encouraged to check the National Hurricane Center for the most current weather information at www.nhc.noaa.gov. Additional city information can be found at www.orangebeachal.gov.
For emergencies, dial 9-1-1.