ALDOT Southwest Region | November 25, 2019
The widening of SR-180/Canal Rd. between Foley Beach Express and SR-161 in Orange Beach began in September 2019 and anticipated completion is December 2020.
Crews have widened, graded, and paved the first 3000 ft of this project between SR-161 and Cypress St. Ditches have been cut, graded, and sodded within this portion as well. Crews will begin widening the next portion of roadway between just west of Cypress St. to just west of Canal Square Ln. after the Thanksgiving holiday. Ongoing utility and drainage work is being performed throughout the work zone.
The bulleted items below are more noticeable parts of the project and do not have to be completed in order. Other utility, drainage, and construction work not listed here will be performed simultaneously along with these items. The final wearing surface and permanent stripe and markings are added upon completion of project.
- 24-inch temporary sewer line bypass valve installation. Complete
- Widen and pave westbound SR-180 in sections. In Progress
- Install 11 pipe crossings which will require nightly lane closures between 8 p.m. - 5 a.m.
- Move to SR-180 eastbound to begin widening and paving efforts.
- Two mast-arm signal installations at intersection of SR-180/Gulf Bay and SR-180/William Silvers Parkway (this item will be performed closer to the completion of the project).
Obey all traffic control devices and digital message boards in the work zone, which relay pertinent project information such as lane closures and traffic pattern shifts!
Find more information on the Canal Road widening project on ALDOT's website at https://rp.dot.state.al.us/SR180/projectInfo.html.