ALDOT Southwest Region | March 9, 2020
The widening of SR-180/Canal Rd. between Foley Beach Express and SR-161 in Orange Beach began in September 2019 and anticipated completion is December 2020.
Crews have widened, installed drainage, and placed the lower and upper asphalt binder layers from up SR-161 to Gulf Bay Rd. Crews started slope paving operations between Gulf Bay Rd. to William Silvers Pkwy. They have also placed asphalt binder layers at the roadway crossovers along Commercial Ave. Crews installed the first pipe crossing in front of the Orange Beach Golf Course. Ongoing drainage and utility work is being performed throughout the work zone.
The bulleted items below are more noticeable parts of the project and do not have to be completed in order. Other utility, drainage, and construction work not listed here will be performed simultaneously along with these items. The final wearing surface and permanent stripe and markings are added upon completion of the project.
- 24-inch temporary sewer line bypass valve installation. Complete
- Widen and pave westbound SR-180 in sections. In Progress
- Install 11 pipe crossings which will require nightly lane closures between 8 p.m. - 5 a.m. In Progress
- Move to SR-180 eastbound to begin widening and paving efforts.
- Two mast-arm signal installations at intersection of SR-180/Gulf Bay and SR-180/William Silvers Parkway (this item will be performed beginning this Spring through this Summer).
Obey all traffic control devices and digital message boards in the work zone, which relay pertinent project information such as lane closures and traffic pattern shifts!
Find more information on the Canal Road widening project on ALDOT's website at https://rp.dot.state.al.us/SR180/projectInfo.html.