The City of Orange Beach, Baldwin County and other local municipalities are participating in Alabama’s 16th annual back-to-school Sales Tax Holiday from Friday, July 16th at 12:01 a.m. through Sunday, July 18th at midnight.
It’s a great time to save money and support local businesses in Orange Beach. The tax holiday applies to certain school supplies, computers and clothing. (Students in Baldwin County Public Schools, including Orange Beach, return to school on August 11th. Find the complete 2021-22 school calendar at https://www.orangebeachal.gov/news/baldwin-county-public-schools-2021-22-school-calendar.)
The Alabama Department of Revenue website has a quick reference sheet of exempt and non-exempt items at https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/STHolidayQuickRefSheet21.pdf.
A list of participating counties and cities across the State of Alabama is also available on the revenue department’s website at https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-use/sales-tax-holidays/alabama-back-to-school-sales-tax-holiday-participating-localities/.
Items included in the tax-free weekend include the following:
CLOTHING - $100 or Less, per article of clothing
Includes all human-wearing apparel suitable for general use, such as:
- Gym Suits
- School Uniforms
The Alabama Department of Revenue website lists clothing accessories and equipment not included in the tax-free weekend.
For purposes of the exemption, a computer may include a laptop, desktop, or tower computer system, which consists of a central processing unit (CPU), and devices such as a display monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers sold as a computer package. Computer parts and devices not sold as part of a package with the CPU, will not qualify for the exemption.
SCHOOL COMPUTER SUPPLIES – An item commonly used by a student in a course of study in which a computer is used, such as:
- Computer Storage Media; diskettes, compact disks
- Handheld electronic schedulers, except devices that are cellular phones
- Personal digital assistants, except devices that are cellular phones
- Computer Printers
- Printer Supplies for Computers (printer paper, printer ink)
SCHOOL SUPPLIES, SCHOOL ART SUPPLIES & SCHOOL INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL - Sales Price of $50 or Less, per item (Noncommercial Purchases)
- Blackboard Chalk
- Book Bags
- Cellophane Tape
- Composition Books
- Folders (expandable, pocket, plastic & manila)
- Glue, paste, and paste sticks
- Index Cards
- Index Card Boxes
- Legal Pads
- Lunch Boxes
- Paper (loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper)
- Pencil Boxes & Other School Supply Boxes
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Writing Tablets
SCHOOL ART SUPPLIES
- Clay & Glazes
- Paints (Acrylic, Tempora & Oil)
- Paintbrushes for artwork
- Sketch and Drawing Pads
SCHOOL INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL (Written material commonly used by a student in a course of study as a reference and to learn the subject being taught)
- Reference Maps and Globes
- Required Textbooks on an official school book list with a sales price of more than $30 and less than $50
BOOKS – Sales Price of $30 or Less, per book (Noncommercial Purchases)
The term book is defined as a set of printed sheets bound together and published in a volume with an ISBN number.