The 2019 Orange Beach Fall UTR Tennis Tournament was held at the Orange Beach Tennis Center November 22 to November 24. The three-day event attracted 118 players from states throughout the Southeast.
Players traveled from many states including:
- Texas: Flint, Canton, Lindale, and Tyler.
- Louisiana: Madisonville, Monroe, Kenner, Port Allen, Bossier City, Mandeville, Covington, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and New Orleans.
- Mississippi: Jackson, Ocean Springs, and Madison. Georgia: Sandy Springs, Talbotton, and Atlanta.
- Arkansas: Jonesboro.
- Florida: Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Pensacola, Cantonment, Lynn Haven, Pace, Crestview, and Milton.
- Alabama: Mountain Brook, Blountsville, Satsuma, New Brockton, Enterprise, Robertsdale, Mobile, Vestavia Hills, Fairhope, Elberta, Homewood, Wetumpka, Indian Springs, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Saraland, Spanish Fort, Foley, Alabaster, Tuscaloosa, Daphne, Gadsden, Bay Minette, and Summerdale.
Fin & Fork catered the event, Saturday, November 23 with a delicious lunch of pasta, salad, and chicken sandwiches.
OWA donated two free amusement park day passes. Carmen Lavergne of Baton Rouge and Aaron Bauer of Summerdale won the day passes through a raffle on Saturday. Tote bags from Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism were won by 25 players in a raffle as well.
Special thanks to the tournaments seven sponsors that included Matt and Regina Shipp of Fin & Fork, Caroline Walters of Columbia Southern University, Murray and Elizabeth Moss of Alabama Getaway Vacation Rentals, Chip and Kerry Begnaud of Orange Beach Parasail, Mary Cain Fowler of Bella Beach Properties, Rhonda Shell of Back On Track Chiropractic, and Leanne Collins of Island Rentals. These businesses had their logos printed on the official tournament banner and on the back of each tournament dry fit T-shirt.
Each singles and doubles champion and finalist was awarded an engraved tumbler.
On the morning of Sunday, November 24, Fellowship of Christian Athletes representative Al Earnest of Fairhope spoke to the players about pushing through “The Wall” (adversity) and handed out Ten Commandments of a Christian Competitor.
Results of the 11 Singles Compass Draws include the following:
- Champion: Esther Witherow of Jackson, Miss.
- Finalist: Charlie Williamson of Fairhope, Ala.
Australian Open Division
- Champion: Jaedyn Martin of Blountsville, Ala.
- Finalist: Mary Phelps Holdefer of Vestavia, Ala.
- Champion: Shawn Mirzakhani of Mobile, Ala.
- Finalist: Ciara Sergi of Kenner, La.
Delray Beach Division
- Champion: Kingsley Cline of Cantonment, Fla.
- Finalist: Henry Smith of Gadsden, Ala.
French Open Division
- Champion: Carlo Ghiglino of Pace, Fla.
- Finalist: Gabriel Perkins of Satsuma, Ala.
Indian Wells Division
- Champion: Trey Stiles of Mountain Brook, Ala.
- Finalist: Jonathan Aikens of Elberta, Ala.
Miami Open Division
- Champion: Drew Kolniak of Bossier City, La.
- Finalist: Kaitlin Ross of Satsuma, Ala.
Monte Carlo Open Division
- Champion: Andrew Mugnier of Lafayette, La.
- Finalist: Charlie Mackey of Baton Rouge, La.
Montreal Open Division
- Champion: Madison Walker of Milton, Fla.
- Finalist: Branson Bywaters of Gulf Breeze, Fla.
U.S. Open Division
- Champion: Tyler Hymel of Navarre, Fla.
- Finalist: David Spivey of Pensacola, Fla.
- Champion: Luke Harden of Talbotten, Ga.
- Finalist: Emma Karcher of Mountain Brook, Ala.
Results of the 6 Doubles Compass Draws are as follows:
Black Tip Shark Doubles Division
- Champions: Ayden Peterson of New Brockton, Ala., and Bradley Pouncey of Enterprise, Ala.
- Finalists: Joshua Perrault of Covington, La. and Paul Guidotti of Mandeville, La.
Blue Shark Division
- Champions: Andrew Mugnier and Henley Nguyen of Lafayette, La.
- Finalists: Ben and Lisa Martin of Blountsville, Ala.
Great White Doubles Division
- Champions: Tyler Hymel of Navarre, Fla. and Luke Rhoden of Madison, Miss.
- Finalists: Gabriel Perkins and Ian May of Satsuma
Lemon Shark Doubles Division
- Champions: James Aikens of Elberta and Doug Crespo of Kenner, La.
- Finalists: Macy Bush and Julia Flake of Baton Rouge, La.
Whale Sharks Doubles Division
- Champions: John Enslen of Wetumpka, Ala. and Don Rowland of Montgomery, Ala.
- Finalists: Maura Blanchfield and Lilly Cambias of Baton Rouge, La.
Makos Doubles Division
- Champions: Raegan Mitchell of Orange Beach and Emma Karcher of Mountain Brook, Ala.
- Finalists: Brock Mitchell of Orange Beach and Cydney Rogers of Jonesboro, Ark.
The next Orange Beach tennis tournament will be a USTA junior tournament, State Level 3, held during the weekend of February 21, 2020.