The 2018 Orange Beach Fall UTR Tennis Tournament was held at the Orange Beach Tennis Center, November 16-18, with 115 players from seven states participating in the 3-day event.
Players traveled from many states including:
- TEXAS: Southlake, Canton, Lindale, Grapevine, and Tyler.
- LOUISIANA: Madisonville, Ponchatoula, Port Allen, Covington, Slaughter, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans.
- MISSISSIPPI: Jackson and Vicksburg.
- GEORGIA: Dunwoody and Atlanta.
- ARKANSAS: Jonesboro.
- FLORIDA: Fort Walton Beach, Milton, Ocala, and Cantonment.
- ALABAMA: Mobile, Fairhope, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Saraland, Spanish Fort, Foley, Alabaster, New Brockton, Tuscaloosa, Daphne, Bay Minette, and Summerdale
Results of the 8 Singles Compass Draws:
ATP WORLD CUP DIVISION
- Champion: Charles Mackey of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Finalist: Kennedy Darr of Covington, Louisiana.
AUSTRALIAN OPEN DIVISION
- Champion: Ayden Peterson of New Brockton, Alabama
- Finalist: Peyton Hickman of Bay Minette, Alabama
DAVIS CUP DIVISION
- Champion: Maura Blanchfield of Baton Rouge
- Finalist: Ellie Perry of Fairhope, Alabama
FED CUP DIVISION
- Champion: Lillie McInnis of Orange Beach, Alabama
- Finalist: Evan Garner of Port Allen, Louisiana
FRENCH OPEN DIVISION
- Champion: Jonathan Kneer of Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Finalist: Edward Ladd of Mobile, Alabama
INDIAN WELLS DIVISION
- Champion: Raquel Russell of Orange Beach
- Finalist: Lilli Verma of Baton Rouge
LAVER CUP DIVISION
- Champion: Blaeze Russell of Orange Beach
- Finalist: Wright Williamson of Fairhope
MIAMI OPEN DIVISION
- Champion: Emma Jane Hamilton of Mobile
- Finalist: Dylan Burdett of Ponchatoula, Louisiana.
US OPEN DIVISION
- Champion: Nadia Hitzman of Madisonville, Louisiana
- Finalist: Cydney Rogers of Jonesboro, Arkansas
- Champion: Hallet Green of Mobile, Alabama
- Finalist: Will Dotson of Fairhope
Results of the six Doubles Compass Draws:
BLACK TIP SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: Maci Bush and Maura Blanchfield of Baton Rouge
- Finalists: Evan Garner and Andrew Moore of Baton Rouge
BULL SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: Charles Mackey and Nate Kahn of Baton Rouge
- Finalists: Pam Klingbeil and Rebecca Jordan of Atlanta
GREAT WHITE SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: David and Emily Carbo of Southlake, Texas
- Finalists: Eric Scott of Elberta, Alabama and Todd Dezoort of Tuscaloosa, Alabama
HAMMERHEAD SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: Johnna Cosentino and Connie McMillin, both of Tyler, Texas
- Finalists: Sheri Douglas of Lindale, Texas and Judy Mayberry of Canton, Texas
LEMON SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: Missy Black of Orange Beach and Melissa Blanchfield of Baton Rouge
- Finalists: Blaeze Russell of Orange Beach and Will Carbo of Southlake, Texas
TIGER SHARK DOUBLES DIVISION
- Champions: Luke and Reece Beckendorf of Madisonville, Louisiana
- Finalists: Edward Ladd and Stephens Ashbee of Mobile
Each singles champion and finalist was awarded an engraved tumbler. Each doubles champion and finalist was given an engraved silver cup.
Fin and Fork catered the event, Saturday, with a delicious lunch of pasta, salad, and chicken sandwiches. OWA donated two free amusement park day passes good through the end of 2019. Paige Fellows of Baton Rouge and Adro Begrow (Brazil) of Summerdale won the day passes through a Saturday raffle. Twenty-five players also won Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism beach bags and coolers through the raffle.
Tournament organizer Rhett Russell sends out a special thanks to event’s five sponsors: Matt and Regina Shipp of Fin and Fork, Caroline Walters of Columbia Southern, Murray and Elizabeth Moss of Alabama Getaway Vacations and Rentals, Ron and Lynn Gully of Liquid Life, and Lindsay Korff and Joy Stehlik of Springhill Suites at the Wharf. These businesses had their logos printed on the official tournament banner and on the back of each tournament dry fit T-shirt.
Russell also sends out special thanks to Lisette Normann of the Orange Beach Store for allowing her company’s logo on the front of each T-shirt.
Among many words of thanks from players’ parents, Klint Beckendorf of Madisonville, Louisiana had this to say:
“Thanks again for this weekend's tournament. Please pass along our gratitude to the City of Orange Beach and all your sponsors. The venue was great, the food was incredible, and the people of Orange Beach were very hospitable. We enjoyed everything about the weekend, and will certainly be back in the future. Happy Thanksgiving!”
The next Orange Beach tennis tournament will be a USTA Junior Tournament, State Level 3 during the weekend of February 23-24, 2019.