2022 Women's Sailing Workshop
The City of Orange Beach Wind and Water Learning Center will offer a sailing workshop series taught by women for women from August 26th to August 28th.
Bring a gal pal and learn to sail together! Women can make great sailors and the WWLC staff invite them to get out on the water.
The beginners' sailing course is taught in a three-day span (Friday evening, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon) for an all-female class. This workshop series is designed to use a fun "camp style" approach to sailing. WWLC staff will cover the basics with lots of hands-on sailing opportunities. It is perfect for complete beginners, or novices hoping to review the essentials in the company of other women.
Women 18 years+ will sail in the WWLC's Sunfish fleet. A minimum of four women are required for a class, with a maximum of eight.
- Friday, August 26th - 5 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 27th - 9 a.m.-noon
- Sunday, August 28th - 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
Registration opens at 9 a.m. Friday, July 22, 2022. The cost is $225/per participant for the series. When registration opens, sign-up online via ActiveNet at 2022 Women's Sailing Workshop 8/26-8/28.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sail Camps (Summer)
U.S. Sailing Certified Level 1 Small Boat Instructors guide youth and teens during week-long Sail Camps in June and July using Optimist Prams and Sunfish sailboats. The Optimist is a pram style boat that can be sailed double handed or solo by campers with a combined weight of up to 125 lbs or up until their 13th birthday. The Sunfish is a bigger, faster boat that can be sailed double handed or solo by older children and adults. Our Sail Camps are intended to introduce newer sailors to the sport in a safe and fun environment. Water safety and good sportsmanship are essential in all of our Sail Camp activities! All campers will need to be able to swim without fear of the water. We will play sailing games, learn knots, and practice the basics of sailing (capsize recovery, points of sail, rigging, how to notice weather and wind direction, sailing terminology, sail trim, and how to skipper and crew a dinghy). These camps fill up fast, so be on the lookout for registration to open on ActiveNet with details on how to create an ActiveNet account at the bottom of this page!
Youth: 6-13 years old
Teens: 14 - 17 years old
Adults: 18 years + Adult Sail Camps will be offered as a series of lessons over the course of a month during late Summer.
SUMMER 2022 REMAINING OPENINGS IN SAIL CAMP
ADDITIONAL BEGINNER COURSE ADDED: Level 1 Beginner Sail Camp 8-14 yrs:
Level 3 Advanced Sail Camp 10 - 14 yrs:
For youth aged 10-14 yrs. Must have taken Level 2 Intermediate. Students will learn to solo a boat; includes right-of-way rules and progression of skills. All Advanced camps take place from 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
Private Sailing Lessons (Spring and Fall)
Adults, Teens, and Youth (6 -13 years with a Guardian) can register for private 3-hour lessons with a U.S. Certified Level 1 Small Boat Instructor during the Spring and Fall. When lessons open up in the spring and fall, they can be booked for up to four participants through ActiveNet. The individual skill of each participant determines which fleet and what topics will be taught. Topics covered include: on the water safety, knots and rigging, capsize recovery, steering, sail trim and speed control, upwind and downwind sailing, getting out of irons, rules of the road, and any other requested basics of sailing that can be accommodated by the WWLC at that time.
A sailing workshop series taught by women, for women. Bring a gal pal and learn to sail together! Women can make great sailors and we invite them to get out on the water with us.
Our beginners' sailing courses are split up over two weeks (Friday evening, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon - 3-hour sessions each day) for an all-female class. This workshop series is designed to use a fun "camp style” approach to sailing. WWLC staff will cover the basics with lots of hands-on sailing opportunities. It is perfect for complete beginners, or novices hoping to review the essentials in the company of other women.
Ladies 18 years + will sail in our Sunfish fleet. Minimum of four required for a class, maximum of eight. Workshop dates will be announced soon. For more information, email email@example.com.
Kayaking (Year-round depending on water temperature)
Intro to Kayaking and Essentials of Coastal Kayak Touring courses are taught by ACA Coastal Kayak Instructors in the Spring and Fall. These courses can also be led upon request throughout the year for small groups.
Guided Kayak Excursions are offered in the Spring and Fall in partnership with the City of Orange Beach’s Coastal Resources Department and community partners.
Full Moon Paddle fundraiser events are offered during the summer months. All funds raised go to a local charity that is chosen annually.
Creating Your ActiveNet Account
To register for activities, you will need to create an Active Orange Beach account.
- Start by accessing our new site at https://apm.activecommunities.com/orangebeach.
Step Two and Three:
- Click “Sign In/Up.” Then on Sign In page, click "Join" below the Sign In button.
Step Four and Five:
- Enter your email address. Click "Next."
- Fill in your name, date of birth and create a password. Required fields are denoted by a red asterisk (*).
- Fill in your Personal Information. Under "Phone," use the dropdown and select "Cell Phone." Then select your "Operator" (carrier - AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) and add your cell number. Required fields are denoted by a red asterisk (*).
- Click "Submit."
Note: Cell phone numbers are required. It is an essential communication tool for the director and staff.
Congratulations, you have created your Active Orange Beach account! You will receive an email to activate your account.
Once the account is activated, you can add family members.
Adding Family Member(s):
Once your account is created and you sign in, you can add family members. On your "My Account" page click on "Manage Family Member."
Adding Family Member(s):
1. On the "My Family Members" page, click on "Add family member.
2. Then add the new family member's information.
(For the phone number for children, parents should select "Cell Phone" on the dropdown menu again and select the operator/carrier.)
3. Click "Submit" and the family member is added.
Register for Activities on ActiveNet
ActiveNet Orange Beach site - https://apm.activecommunities.com/orangebeach. After an account is created, you can enroll in an activity.
(Click here to download a printable version of the instructions on registering for Sail Camp on ActiveNet.)
1. After selecting the activity you prefer, you will be prompted to select a participant from a dropdown menu.
1. Fill in the enrollment information for the participant. Some questions, such as the allergy one, require as "yes" or "no," and more details if the answer is "yes". Other questions require filling in the participant's height and weight. Rating the participant's swimming ability and T-shirt size have dropdown menus. The last question requires typing in the name of individual(s) authorized to pickup the participant. Additional questions will be part of Level 2 and Level 3 registrations.
2. Click “Next” when complete.
1. On the "Shopping Cart" page, review the registration information then initial to consent to the Program Agreement and check off the Cancellation Policy acknowledgment. Both are required before registration can be finished and payment made. (Note: The Sail Camp fee for non-residents is $175, and for residents it is $150.)
2. Once done, click "Check Out."
1. On the "Check Out" payment page, put your credit card information in to complete the registration process. Once the payment is made you will see the Confirmation page and can view a printable receipt. You will also receive an email confirmation.
Thank you. For any questions about the ActiveNet registration, email Marc D. Anderson, Special Projects Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.