Orange Beach Fire Department Resident Volunteer Firefighter Program
The Orange Beach Fire Department Resident Volunteer Firefighter Program (RVFP) is an exciting opportunity! The RVFP is designed to give young men and women who are interested in pursuing a career in Fire and Emergency Services.
Applicants that are accepted into the RVFP are expected to successfully complete Firefighter I/II training. After successfully completing the training and receiving their Firefighter I/II certification, they will be assigned to a regular shift in the Orange Beach Fire Department, where they will serve alongside our career members working 24 hour shifts performing all the duties of a firefighter, gaining valuable experience and training to prepare you for a career with a full-time fire department.
Additionally, you will be sent to school to become an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Advanced EMT (if already an EMT), to complete the training requirements for the RVFP. Participants can stay in the program for up to two years; a minimum one year committent is asked. In exchange for this commitment to the RVFP, participants are provided with the following:
- Lodging, with all utilities paid for
- Certification as a Firefighter I/II (based on successfully completing the course and passing the certification exam)
- Opportunity for additional fire service certifications (for example, Apparatus Operator; Hazardous Materials Technician; Rope Rescue Technician; etc.)
- A monthly stipend
- An opportunity to become a certified Ocean/Surf Lifeguard (United States Lifesaving Association)
Applications are accepted periodically as posted.
Requirements for applying (based on the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission prerequisites for Firefighter I training):
- 18 years of age
- High school diploma/GED
- Successful completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) - more info on this can be found on the Alabama Fire College website.
The application process for Spring 2019 has closed. The next application process will start in June for the Fall 2019 class.