Please select whether you are applying to be a potential head or assistant coach.
Please choose the sport you would like to coach
The Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program is committed to providing a recreational program that emphasizes sportsmanship, fair play and a family oriented atmosphere. Coaches are considered to be the Leaders in the Orange Beach Youth Leagues, providing positive adult role models and being mentors for the impressionable youth who are participating as players and spectators.
The opportunity to coach in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program should be considered a privilege and along with that privilege are requirements to perform at a higher standard. The ability to coach in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program is dependent upon the coach’s acceptance of the following policies.
These policies are provided so that all coaches will clearly understand the expected standard of behavior and the consequences that will result if violations occur.
1. Because of the current size and continued growth of the program, as well as the number of coaches each year, all volunteers wishing to be considered to coach a team in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program must submit the requisite information for a background check to be performed.
2. Official coaches participating in the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program are expected to make a commitment to this program as their first coaching priority. Simultaneous participation in other organized athletic programs is allowed provided that those program schedules do not conflict with Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program practices or games.
3. No foul or abusive language is permitted, including cursing or racial slurs. The penalty for inappropriate language is ejection from the game and/or removed from coaching for the remainder of the season.
4. No fighting is allowed. The penalty for fighting in a sporting venue during or after a game or practice is expulsion from the Athletic Program for the remainder of the season. Violent behavior will not be tolerated. Examples include willful and deliberate throwing of equipment and threatening gestures or words. The penalty for violent behavior is ejection from the game.
5. No tobacco use (smoke or smokeless) or alcohol consumption is allowed by official coaches at any Athletic Program practice, game or event held at the sporting venues during the season. This includes times when the coach is present at the sporting venue when his team is not practicing or playing a game. The penalty for violating this policy will be ejection from the game or suspension from the next scheduled game.
In addition to the minimum penalties applied as a result of a violation to the above policies, the Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program reserves the right to apply other penalties as deemed appropriate to assure compliance with these policies.
Orange Beach Youth Athletic Program Sportsmanship Code
• Develop a strong, clean, healthy body, mind and soul
• Develop a strong urge for sportsman-like conduct
• Develop understanding of the respect for the RULES
• Develop courage in defeat, tolerance and modesty in victory
• Develop control over emotions and speech
• Develop a spirit of cooperation and team play
I submit my consent to the City of Orange Beach to conduct a background check in order to allow me to coach youth sports. I also acknowledge that I will be required to provide my Social Security number and driver's license information.
I understand that I MUST attend any coaches’ clinic or educational classes required by the City prior to the season. I understand that my absence at any required class may revoke my coaching privileges.
I understand that my application to coach youth sports is based on approval of the background check and is subject to the approval of the City of Orange Beach Athletics Director.
National Youth Sports Coaches Association Code of Ethics for Coaches
I hereby pledge to live up to my certification as a NAYS Coach by following the NAYS Code of Ethics for Coaches:
I will place the emotional and physical well- being of my players ahead of a personal desire to win.
I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range for emotional and physical development for the same age group.
I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.
I promise to review and practice basic first aid principles needed to treat injuries of my players.
I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all my players.
I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players.
I will not cheat or engage in any form of unethical behavior that violates league rules.
I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
I will be knowledgeable in the rules of each sport that I coach, and I will teach these rules to my players.
I will use those coaching techniques appropriate for all of the skills that I teach.
I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is for children and not adults.
BY CHECKING YES, THE UNDERSIGNED HAS READ AND UNDERSTANDS ALL OF THIS DOCUMENT.